Saturday, January 24, 2009

Treatments begin

Hi all, I haven't had a chance to write this week. We've been keeping busy though.

First off, we have the schedule for the whole 6 weeks, but I think I'll just post the schedule week by week since STUFF happens like weather, health, CAR issues (I'm in that predicament). Anyway, next week:
Monday 1/26 - 6:45pm -- Tom M
Tuesday 1/27 -- 6:45pm -- Kelley B
Wednesday 1/28 -- 7:15pm I may need help due to a out of town work situation..may not get back in time.
Thursday 1/29 -- 6pm --I'll drive
Friday 1/30 -- 10am -- I'll drive - unless some has time during the day.

I notice that most of the times are 6-7pmish and then towards the end of the 6 weeks he has mostly earlier a.m. appointments. I wonder if it's because of how he may be feeling. The med team really can't commit to telling us how Gary will respond to the treatments.
As you all know Gary and I have been reading everything from research papers, books and online chats about the Glioblastoma tumor. You get to a point where information starts crisscrossing from one resource to another and then you make a reasonable plan as to how to move forward. No one person is going to give us an answer or suggest what we should be doing exactly because everyone reacts differently to the tumor.
Based on everything we've read (and gut instinct) and anyplace we've gone to meet the experts all roads lead us back to Temador-Chemo pill daily for the year and 6 weeks of radiation. There is no way out.
With this in mind,Gary is taking his diet really seriously so he can handle the treatments. We discuss a diet that works on proteting the healthy cells and not the cancer cells. We went to The Vermont Center for Integrative Herbalism last Monday night and met with Guido a teacher at the school. He is assisting Gary with diet consultation while he fights the tumor. Guido is extremely knowledgeable and I recommend anyone with diet concerns to contact this school. We feel good about everything we have been learning so far.
Gary's reading a really cool book called "The Untold Story of Milk". Awesome information! Thanks Warren! Other books are, "Surviving Terminal Cancer" by Ben Williams. (Thanks for this one Kristy A.). This book drove me to contact Dr. Henry Friedman who is a Neurosurgeon that specialized in Glioblastoma Brain Tumors at Duke University. He surprised me on Tuesday by calling my cell phone in response to my email. I was stunned needless to say. He basically confirmed that we should continue the chemo/radiation 6 week treatment and that when Gary gets his MRI after the 6 weeks to call him back on a specific tel number that I now have written down in about 12 places. Pretty cool huh? Another book that Gary just finished is "Coyote Medicine" by Louis Mehl-Madronna. My associates at work ordered it for Gary when they heard about his diagnosis. It's a great source. The Author comes to Johnson State 2-3 times a year to work with Susan Greene. She has done workshops at our Agency and recommended this book for Gary.
Today we will be around doing reading, errands, stoking the fire and walking the puppy. Jaynie is working at the mountain and Ian is still sleeping as I write this. Hope you all stay warm this weekend and thank you all so much for everything from the food to the transports and well wishes. Community is really the wind in our sail right now for sure.
ME

6 comments:

  1. Hey Folks,
    Sounds very organized. Rick just mentioned to me about the milk Gary is drinking. Is the milk treated in any way for possible bacteria. Just concerned with Gary's compromised immune system.
    I'm sure you've got it under control but I just had to ask.
    Can't wait to see you all.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    Good question. No. But don't worry. It's all figured out. Should be fine. Thanks for checking though. How did you get this comment hrough? I can't get my damn comments posted!!
    ME

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! It worked. Hmm. Wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you just have to keep trying. It asked me to put my google account in and then I had to type the password in a few times before the comment was accepted. Let's see if it works again...

    ReplyDelete